Riley’s been limping lately. He’s limped before, usually when he lands badly after guiltily jumping off the bed or the couch, and with a couple of days of rest, everything’s fine. We took him to the vet the first time – nothing to be done for him except keep him quiet. This time, he limped for three weeks straight. Our gentle prodding never resulted in any pain (that we could see), so it didn’t seem urgent. John took him to the vet Friday evening (we decided that three weeks was excessive and were feeling guilty for not getting him there sooner). We expected to hear that his ankle was sprained. Worst case, maybe a small fracture. That would have been great news.
Our vet, who we really like, took four x-rays, all showing the same thing. She doesn’t want to say for sure until she gets a second opinion from the specialist, but it looks like bone cancer (osteosarcoma). She did a chest x-ray, and his chest looks clear, so she doesn’t think it has spread. John asked what this means for treatment, and the vet wasn’t willing to get into it until we have a definite diagnosis. He turned to Google, of course, and found that we might (probably will?) have to amputate his leg (it’s his front left leg) and then follow that with chemotherapy. We have absolutely no idea what this means for him long-term, or even what long-term means now. He’s only 10 and a half.
It’s been a rough weekend. We’d hoped that the vet could get in touch with the specialist yesterday, but apparently she couldn’t. We’ll hear something tomorrow, but I’m sure there will be more appointments, more discussions.
It hasn’t even been four months – we got rid of Roxy’s old toys and medicines today. We’re keeping her bowl and her pillow and her leash and collar. It’s too soon to go through this again.
Life sucks sometimes.