Despite not having heard any Prince songs recently, I have a medley of them in my head. Allow me to explain how I got to this point. This morning, Mom made a joke about how the song “Secret Agent Man” will forever be “Secret Asian Man” to her. I responded with one of mine (“Chicken To Ride” for “Ticket To Ride”), and then John chimed in with his for “Smoke On The Water”. Instead of “Smoke on the water, fire in the sky”, he hears “Slow talkin’ Walter, fire engine guy.”
Here’s where my brain went:
- “Smoke On The Water” is NOT by Muddy Waters. (I always go there first, even though I know it’s wrong. Water/Waters – you can understand my association.)
- It’s by Deep Purple.
- Deep Purple did NOT do “Purple Haze”. That’s Jimi Hendrix.
- “Purple Haze” sounds NOTHING like “Purple Rain”.
- “Purple Rain” is by Prince.
- Now I have several Prince songs battling for supremacy in my brain (“Raspberry Beret”, “Kiss”, “When Doves Cry”, “Little Red Corvette”, “Diamonds and Pearls”…you get the picture).
Does the word “purple” look super-weird to anyone else right now?