I picked up my boxing workout today for the first time in a year – no exaggeration – and it showed. I have a 30-minute audio track of a guy calling combos for 2-minute rounds, with a minute of rest in between. (I have another half-hour track for 3-minute rounds, but I am nowhere near ready for that right now.)
On the plus side, I still remember the combos. I don’t have to think before throwing punches. On the minus side, everything else.
- I’d forgotten how to wrap my hands. I figured it out again after I got back home.
- My punches are sloppy.
- I’ve forgotten how to hit quick and draw back, so the bag was swinging like crazy, like I was pushing it (which is bad).
- After every single round, I spent the first half of the rest minute sucking in air. I felt like I sprinted each 2-minute round for half an hour.
- AND, judging by how my right pinky hurts, I’ve forgotten how to properly twist my right arm on a right cross so as NOT to damage that sad little finger.
- And let’s not pretend I’ve remembered how to move and duck and block. I might remember how, but I didn’t have any energy to spare for it today.
I have work to do, but it felt SO GOOD. This is work I’m happy to be doing.