Les Mis! Again! And alone!
I just saw Les Mis for the 7th or 8th time, and it’s bothering me that I can’t remember if I’ve seen it 7 or 8 times. Family? Can you help me out here?
- I saw it twice before college, both times in Louisville. One of those times Mario and Dennis came with us.
- I saw it once in college with John, which was the first time he saw it.
- I saw it once at Wolf Trap with John, in 2008, the second time for him and so far the last for him.
- I saw it at the Kennedy Center with Mel, Jess, Margaret, and Amanda in 2011.
- I saw it at the Warner Theatre with Brynn (former coworker) in 2012. I think it was 2012.
- I just saw it last night in Providence ALL BY MYSELF.* More on that in a bit.
That’s seven times, but I feel like I’m missing one. An early one. And I can’t believe it’s been five years since I saw it last (although it was more like nine years between the two times I saw it with John).
Hm. Maybe it’s another DC one. Did I see it once with Adam and Simone? At the National Theatre? That’s ringing a bell, actually.
So, yeah, I went alone for two very good reasons. No, three.
- John’s not a fan. He would certainly come with me, but I don’t see the point of buying him a ticket so he can accompany me to something he won’t enjoy, when he’s only going so I don’t have to go alone (which is a lovely reason), and since I know he won’t like it, it takes my enjoyment down a notch. A teensy notch, but a notch. Anyone else would have had to travel, and while that would have been fun (it has been in the past), see points 2 and 3.
- It’s kinda fun to go to things by myself. Other people (other people I like, I should say) are hardly a burden (I can’t say the same about people I don’t like, obvs), but sometimes it’s nice to do whatever I want to do, however I want to do it, without worrying about whoever is with me.
- I GOT THE GREATEST SEAT EVER because I was only buying ONE ticket. It was one seat, by itself, front row, six seats off the center aisle. If I’d been looking for two tickets, I would have been way off to the side and further back or WAY further back.
I have NEVER had this good of a seat to see Les Mis, and it was AWESOME. No kidding, I was so close it felt almost like a private performance, and this performance was SO GOOD. This was the first stop of this season’s national tour. The schedule is here. You should go.
I miss the revolving stage, though.